The Radcliffe collection had formed part of the Radcliffe Library, the
contents of which were moved to a new library in the University Museum
in 1861. The Radcliffe Trustees in 1893 presented to the Bodleian such
of their non-scientific books as it did not already possess. The collection
comprises 780 v, being non-scientific works of 16th-18th
cent, and including books on architecture, classics, history, literature
and theology. Included are books bequeathed to the Radcliffe Library by
James Gibbs (1682-1754), the architect of the building, Richard Frewin
(1681?-1761) Camden Professor of Ancient History, and other benefactors.
Other non-scientific works not wanted by the Bodleian were sold in 1894.
Back to Index
Bibliotheca Radcliviana, 1749-1949, Catalogue of an exhibition.
Richard Rawlinson (1690-1755),
non-juring bishop (1728), antiquary and collector, had formed a foreign,
classical and English library, and bought a large proportion of the Oriental
and other volumes at the sale of his brother Thomas’s library in 1734.
He had been a considerable benefactor during his lifetime: some hundreds
of books in the shelfmark Jur. and elsewhere were given by him from 1730
on. A series of almanacs in 175 v, ranging in date from 1607-1747, were
sent to the library in 1752-55, and are shelfmarked Rawlinson Almanacs:
other almanacs have been added to the collection. He bequeathed to the
University his large collection of 5,205 mss, among which are bound much
printed material, largely contemporary printed sheets, including ballad
sheets and book prospectuses; and all such printed books as were on vellum
or silk or contained any manuscript note. c1,800 v in quarto and smaller
sizes are shelfmarked Rawlinson. They date from 16th-18th
cent and include theology, contemporary politics, history and antiquities,
topography and early English literature. A volume containing a collection
of the broadside proclamations issued during the reign of Elizabeth I is
now kept as Arch.G.c.6.
Rawlinson’s books include some owned by Thomas Hearne
(1678-1735): Hearne bequeathed all his mss and books with ms notes, to
William Bedford (d. 1747), from whose widow Rawlinson bought them. Some
of the Rawlinson printed books appear to have been disposed of in sales
of Bodleian duplicates.
A collection of 100 books published after 1850 which would be unsuitably
placed if dispersed through the current classification for modern books,
eg books having dust jackets before the period when these were preserved
generally, proof copies, series.
Rawlinson almanacks, with index [MS. Bodleian shelfmark R.6.223].
Index to the Rawlinson copperplates [Bodleian shelfmark MS.
Top. Oxon d.276=R.6.236]
B. J. Enright, ‘Rawlinson and the chandlers’, BLR 4 (1953),
B. J. Enright, Richard Rawlinson, collector, antiquary and
topographer. Unpubl. Oxford University thesis. (MS. D.Phil. d.1786)
Richard Rawlinson, a tercentenary memorial, by G.
R. Tashjian, D. R. Tashjian, B. J. Enright. Western Michigan University,
Stanley Gilllam, ‘Thomas Hearne’s library’, BLR, XII,1(October
Stanley Gillam, ‘Anthony Wood’s trustees and their friends’,
XV, 3(October 1995) 187-210.
Stephen Peter Rigaud (1774-1839),
mathematical historian and astronomer, Fellow of Exeter College (1794-1810,
Savilian Professor of Geometry (1810-27), Savilian Professor of Astronomy
and Radcliffe Observer (1827-39). When his large library, chiefly of 18th
cent writers, was sold in 1839, his books on astronomy, mathematics, and
physics were purchased by the Radcliffe Trustees for the Observatory. In
1935, 840 books, not then in the Bodleian, were presented to the library
and the rest sold.
Robert Ross Memorial Oscar Wilde Collection.
Brought together by Walter Edwin Ledger (d1931), Wilde’s bibliographer,
and named after Robert Baldwin Ross (1869-1918), Wilde’s friend and literary
executor. Presented to University College, Oxford, by Donald C L Cree,
Ledger’s friend and executor, and an alumnus of the College, and deposited
in the Bodleian. c1,000 works being editions and translations of the works
of Oscar Wilde (1856-1900), works on Wilde, works illustrating literary
movements in England in the 1890s, including periodicals, sale and booksellers’
catalogues and newspaper cuttings.
Catalogue of the theological, classical and miscellaneous
library of Stephen Peter Rigaud... which will be sold by auction by Mr
Evans. London, 1839.
Roxburghe Club A
collection of 230 publications of the Roxburghe Club from 1814.
Back to Index
N. J.Barker, The publications of the Roxburghe Club 1814-1962,
an essay with a bibliographical table. Cambridge, Roxburghe Club, 1964.
James St Amand (1687-1754),
antiquary, bequeathed his manuscripts and printed books to the Bodleian
(those not wanted were to go to Lincoln College). The 600 books taken by
the Bodleian consist chiefly of contemporary editions of the classics and
of the writings of modern Latin scholars (many had formerly belonged to
Arthur Charlett, 1655-1722, Master of University College, 1692), with inter
alia his notes on Theocritus and the Greek poets.
Sir Henry Savile (1549-1622) Warden
of Merton College (1585-1622), Provost of Eton (1596), founded lectureships
in mathematics, one in astronomy, the other in geometry, in the University
of Oxford. To each he attached a library, drawn from his own collections,
covering the whole field of mathematics, and including the allied subjects
of optics, harmonics, mechanics, cosmography, and the applied sciences
of surveying, navigation and fortification, and a quantity of fine printed
books, chiefly of the 16th cent. Nearly all of the Savilian
professors added to the library: Sir Christopher Wren, holder of the Chair
of Astronomy (1661-1723) left his astronomy and geometry books to the library
when he retired from the Chair; and John Wallis, holder of the Chair of
Geometry (1649-1703), gave some books during his lifetime, but many more
were presented after his death by his son. Thus, the Savilian Library is
a very complete collection of mathematical works up to the end of the 17th
cent, and contains some 18th and 19th cent items.
It was handed over to the Bodleian in 1884. The Wren and Wallis books are
shelfmarked Savile A-H and K-M; Savile’s original donations are in Savile
N-Z, Aa and Bb. The collection totals c.1,180 v.
John Selden (1584-1654),
lawyer, antiquary and Orientalist, bequeathed to the University of Oxford
his non-medical Oriental manuscripts, his Greek mss, together with some
Latin mss, and such of his Talmudical and Rabbinical books not already
in the Bodleian. c.8,000 v of his were presented by his executors in 1659.
Selden’s was the greatest single collection received in the 17th
cent. It was placed in the west wing of Duke Humfrey’s Library, which became
known as Selden End, and the books were subdivided by the four faculty
subdivisions (theology, jurisprudence, medicine, and arts). In Selden’s
library (which was one of the two greatest single collections formed in
England in the 17th century) can be distinguished four elements:
books presented by continental scholars; gifts from English friends and
admirers (historians, classical scholars, philosophers and scientists,
literary men); books acquired secondhand, after the deaths of earlier collectors
(eg. books from the libraries of Sir Robert Cotton, John Donne, and John
Dee); and (by far the largest part of the library) thousands of volumes
both English and foreign, purchased new, mostly from the book trade, though
on occasion by private purchase from individual owners. His 15th
century books number some 130. Included are books in Chinese, and the first
book ever printed in Japan with moveable types and in western characters.
The collection is rich in books that once belonged to famous owners, or
that were given to him, many as author’s presentation copies. Among the
printed books many European languages are represented as well as Oriental
languages. Much of the collection comprises 16th and 17th
cent works in classical and foreign languages. Though he owned few literary
texts in English, some of these are of special interest. He was one of
the earliest collectors of Caxtons, and the 13 he owned (all but one in
English) were the first that came into the Bodleian. Other subjects represented
are medicine, science, theology, history, law and Hebrew literature. Some
duplicates were disposed of when the collection first came to the library,
some to Gloucester Cathedral library. Some additions, which were not Selden’s
own books, were made to the Selden collection during the 18th
and 19th cent.
C J Scriba, Studien zur Mathematik des John Wallis (1616-1703):
Winkelteilungen, Kombinationslehre und Zahlentheoretische Probleme im Anhang
die Bücher und Handschriften von Wallis in der Bodleian Library zu
Oxford. (Boethius: Texte und Abhandlungen zur Geschichte der exakten Wissenschaften,
Band 6). Wiesbaden, 1966. p112-42: Anhang: die Bücher und Handschriften
von John Wallis mit einem Überblick über die Geschichte der Savile
Collection (jetzt Teil der Bodleian Library in Oxford). [Bodleian copy
Sermons A collection
of 570 English sermons of 17th-19th cent, bound in
26 v, purchased in 1850.
Robert Shackleton (1919-1986),
Bodley’s Librarian 1966-79, Marshal Foch Professor of French Literature,
Oxford University (1979-1986). A collection, bequeathed to the Bodleian,
of c. 1,000 volumes by and about Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu
(1689-1755), political philosopher. It includes virtually every important
early edition of all of Montesquieu’s works, and translations into other
languages. In the section of over 500 volumes devoted to works by Montesquieu
printed before 1920, there are editions of the collected works (250 volumes,
including 24 18th century editions) and editions of the single
works, including 36 editions of De l’esprit des lois (1748) in French
and over 50 in translation: there are 16 different editions of De l’esprit
des lois published before 1751, and numerous copies of the English
translations produced before 1803 in places as varied as Aberdeen, Dublin,
Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, and Worcester, Massachusetts.
J Sparrow, ‘The earlier owners of books in John Selden’s
library’, BQR 6(1931), p263-71.
D M Barratt, ‘The library of John Selden and its later history’,
BLR 3(1951), p128-42.
The Bodleian Library in the seventeenth century, guide to
an exhibition. Oxford, 1951, p43-7.
Among Shackleton’s working and personal papers in the
Bodleian is the manuscript of his Lyell Lectures on the bibliographical
history of Montesquieu, based on his collection.
Presented in 1945 by Shrivenham American University, the temporary American
servicemen’s University. A miscellaneous collection of over 400 textbooks
of the 1930s and 1940s, including books on science, engineering, geography,
American history and literature.
G.G.Barber, [‘Robert Shackleton’s collection of books by
and about Montesquieu’], BLR XII, 4 (April 1987) 324-7.
Presented 378 v including editions of Richard Brinsley Sheridan’s plays,
music for the plays and the songs in them, translations, and works on Sheridan,
being editions and works not already in the Bodleian.
[SIGMA] A collection
of over 2,600 v of 16th-19th cent in all languages
and on all subjects added to the library, and shelved in Selden End and
the Selden Galleries, between 1826 and 1850.
‘Gift from Mr Bertram Shuttleworth’, BLR 6 (1958), p393.
A collection of 190 Slavonic books and books on Eastern Europe (19th
George Smith (1871-1963),
of Great Bedwyn, presented to the Bodleian his collection of early newsbooks,
corantos and newspapers. The collection extends over the 16th-20th
cent, and includes rare 16th and 17th cent newsbooks
(including Civil War items), mainly English, though some items are foreign;
18th cent local newspapers; proclamations; and broadsides.
Back to Index
‘George Smith donation’, BLR 4 (1953), p290.
In 1795 Alexander Hendras Sutherland (1753-1820) started to grangerize
Edward Hyde, First Earl of Clarendon’s History of the Rebellion (1702-4)
and Life of Clarendon (1759), and Bishop Gilbert Burnet’s History of his
own time (1722-34), with portraits of every person and place mentioned
in the text or connected with the subject matter, and on his death (1820)
the work was taken up by his widow. These grangerized copies, including
both letterpress and engraved material, were presented by Mrs Sutherland
to the Bodleian in 1837, but were transferred to the Ashmolean Museum (qv)
Mrs Sutherland also presented to the Bodleian 35 illustrated
biographical and historical works, many also enriched with additional engravings,
and these remain in the Bodleian, shelfmarked Sutherland.
Back to Index
Mrs C Sutherland, Catalogue of the Sutherland Collection,
Oxford, 1837. Supplement, 1838.
A catalogue of books purchased for the Bodleian... 1843 [With]
List of works presented to the library by Mrs Sutherland. Oxford, (1843?).
‘The transfer of the Sutherland Collection of prints and
drawings’, BLR 3(1951), p115-16.
Craster, p113, 314.