Ralph Bigland (1711-84) was a herald and antiquary. See the Dictionary of National Biography for further details.
Notebooks by Ralph Bigland, containing miscellaneous parish notes for about 65 Gloucestershire parishes, including copies of monumental inscriptions.
MSS. Top. Glouc. e. 10-11 were owned by J.H. Smyth Pigott of Brockley Hall, Somerset; Brockley Hall sale, English & Son (Bath), 8 Oct. 1849; two of five similar volumes numbered Phillipps MS. 13519, later numbered Phillipps MSS. 14265-70; these two volumes numbered 14265 and 14266 (Phillipps MS. 14270 is MS. Phillipps-Robinson e. 141).
MSS. Top. Glouc. e. 12 was possibly owned as MSS. Top. Glouc. e. 10-11; Phillipps MS. 16106.Immediate Source of Acquisition
MSS. Top. Glouc. e. 10-11 were bought by the Library, with MS. Top. Glouc. e. 12, in 1979, Stanley Crowe, cat. 89.Access Conditions
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Parishes | England | Gloucestershire
Bigland | Ralph | 1711-1784 | Herald and Antiquary