Edmund Gibson (1669-1748) was one of the foremost churchmen of his age, important both as an ecclesiastical statesman and as a bishop. He was elevated to the episcopate as Bishop of Lincoln in 1716, and translated in 1723 to the see of London, where he remained until his death. He was not only the author of numerous devotional and pastoral works, but also published two monumental volumes on ecclesiastical law, Synodus Anglicana (1702) and Codex Juris Ecclesiae Anglicanae (1713), and made a major contribution to antiquarian studies with his new English edition of William Camden's Britannia (1695). Further details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Microfilm copies of the papers of Edmund Gibson held at Lambeth Palace Library.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).Existence/Location of Originals
The originals are located in Lambeth Palace Library (MSS. 929-42).
A description is available in the Library.Related Units of Description
See also Papers of Edmund Gibson (1669-1748), Bishop of London, and his descendants, 1388-1797 (MSS. Eng. b. 2042-4, c. 3190-202, d. 2405-11).
Gibson | Edmund | 1669-1748 | Bishop of London and antiquary
Church of England
Lambeth Palace Library