John Hely-Hutchinson (1724-94) was a lawyer, statesman and antiquary. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated B.A. in 1744, and was called to the Irish bar in 1748. He was the son of Francis Hely of Gortroe, County Cork, and Prudence Earbery; in 1751 he married Christiana, daughter of Abraham Nixon of Money, County Wicklow, niece and heiress of Richard Hutchinson, esq., of Knocklofty, County Tipperary, whose name he thereupon adopted. In 1759 he became the MP for the borough of Lanesborough; but disposed of his seat after the dissolution of Parliament on the death of George II. From 1761 to 1790 he sat as member for the city of Cork. See the Dictionary of National Biography for further details.
Vols. 1-2 (of 7) of a typescript copy of John Hely-Hutchinson's 'An essay towards a history of Trinity College, Dublin' to 1730. The original manuscript, parts of which were burnt in 1916, is in Trinity College, Dublin.
Owned by Sir John Mahaffy.Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library, Henry Sotheran, cat. 814 (1929), 1754.Access Conditions
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 54384-5.
Universities and colleges | Ireland
Hutchinson | John Hely- | 1724-1794 | lawyer, statesman, and antiquary
University of Dublin | Trinity College