Correspondence of Henry Herbert, Lord Porchester, mainly concerning his travels in France and Spain
Bodleian Library, University of OxfordMatthew Neely
Department of Special Collections
Search Online Catalogues
Consulting material: To consult archives and manuscripts, a full and unrestricted
Bodleian reader's card (Group A) is required. You should apply for your card at the
Pre-ordering: Before your visit you may order up to ten items by emailing
Please be advised that some collection material is held offsite; we advise pre-ordering at least two working
days before your visit to ensure material is available on your arrival.
Shelfmark: MS. Eng. c. 8367
Title: Correspondence of Henry Herbert, Lord Porchester, mainly concerning his travels in France and Spain
Dates of Creation: Apr [1821?]-May 1822
Extent: 38 leaves
Language(s) of Material: English
Henry John George Herbert, 3rd Earl of Carnarvon, was born in 1800, the eldest son of Henry Herbert, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon,
and his wife Elizabeth. He travelled extensively in Europe and published works on Spain and Portugal. He died in 1849.
Scope and Content
- (fols. 1-6) letters from his father Henry Herbert, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon, Apr 1821-Apr . Includes (fols. 3v-4r) a letter
from his sister Lady Emily Herbert, written as a postscript to his father's letter, 25 Apr 1821
- (fols. 7-26) letters to his father Henry Herbert, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon, Mar 1821-Jun 1822, n.d.
- (fols. 27-8) letter from Frances Bute, Jul 1821
- (fols. 29-32) letters to his sister Lady Harriot Herbert, Nov 1821, May 1822
- (fols. 33-4) letter to his grandmother Elizabeth Herbert, Countess of Carnarvon, Feb 1822
- (fols. 35-6) letters to his brother Edward Herbert, Apr 1822
- (fols. 37-8) letter, in French, to unidentified, Mar 1821
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought, Samuel Gedge, 12 November 2011
Preferred Form of Citation
Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS. Eng. c. 8367, fols. 1-2.
Herbert | Henry George | 1772-1833 | 2nd Earl of Carnarvon
Herbert | Henry John George | 1800-1849 | 3rd Earl of Carnarvon
Transformation from XML (EAD 2.0) to HTML
08 February 2016