Collection Level Description: Miscellaneous Documents relating mainly to Norfolk and Suffolk
Reference: MSS. Top. gen. c. 69/1-2, c. 69*
Title: Miscellaneous Documents relating mainly to Norfolk and Suffolk
Dates of Creation: 15th-17th cent.
Extent: 3 shelfmarks
Name of Creator: Peter Le Neve and John Anstis
Language of Material: English and Latin
Peter Le Neve (1661-1729) was a Norfolk antiquary; John Anstis, the elder (1669-1744) was a heraldic writer and Garter King
of Arms. See the Dictionary of National Biography for further details.
Scope and Content
A collection of miscellaneous documents relating mainly to Norfolk and Suffolk, 15th-17th century, comprising:
- a table in the hand of John Anstis (17th cent.)
- copies of a list of valuations of benefices in the diocese of
Norwich; and of a list of monasteries, appropriated churches and other items,
and various dues
- a 16th-century copy of 'Cartae et
confirmaciones domus S. Sepulchri Canonicorum Theford' (Thetford,
Norfolk), with notes by Thomas Tanner and Peter Le Neve
- 17th-century extracts relating to feudal services in Norfolk
temp Edward I and Edward III
- a late 15th-century copy of Kirkby's Quest for Yorkshire,
- 17th-century extracts from patent rolls 12 Henry IV, containing
the Commission to take oaths to keep the peace, with the return of names from
Fols. 1-12 of the original foliation are missing.
Owned by Peter Le Neve and John Anstis; note perhaps in the hand of
Marmaduke Tunstall (fol. 2) 'Bought at Mr Anstis late Garter's sale [S. Barker
& G. Leigh, 12 Dec.] 1768... for £1-7-0d', lot 360; owned by Arthur
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library, Sotheby's, 9 July 1951, lot 602.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers,
Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol.
II, nos. 54144-6.
Related Units of Description
Material relating to Peter Le Neve:
- notes and copies from MSS. (MSS. top. Yorks. c. 15, 17, 29,
39-40, 42, 59)
- Norfolk collections etc. (MSS. Gough Norfolk 16, 30, 34-39;
Kent 30; Rutland 1-2; Gen. Top. 132-33, 210; Top. Norfolk b. 3, c. 1)
- pedigrees (MSS. Eng. misc. b. 3, c. 20-21)
- Le Neve's satirical verse collection (MS. Eng. poet. d. 52)
- a collection relating to foreign countries (MS. Rawl. d. 867)
Material relating to John Anstis:
- correspondence and papers relating to Order of the Garter (MSS. Don. d. 126-27)
- historical and genealogical collections (MSS. Top. gen. c. 70)
- Anstis' historical collections relating to Oxford degrees (MS. Eng. misc. c. 48)
- Anstis' papers relating to the Court of Chivalry (MS. Eng. misc. b. 32)
- topographical papers (MSS. Gough. Cornwall 1, Devonshire 1)
- letters to Thomas Carte (MSS. Carte. 70, 227)
- letters to Thomas Hearne (MSS. Rawl. lett. 1 19)
- letters to Edward Lhuyd (MSS. Ashm. 1814, 1820)
- letters to Richard Rawlinson (MSS. Rawl. letters. 30-31).
Monasteries | England
Anstis | John | 1669-1744 | herald, antiquary, and MP
Neve | Peter Le | 1661-1729 | herald and
Search Online Catalogues
Consulting material: To consult archives and manuscripts, a full and unrestricted
Bodleian reader's card (Group A) is required. You should apply for your card at the
Pre-ordering: Before your visit you may order up to ten items by emailing
Please be advised that some collection material is held offsite; we advise pre-ordering at least two working
days before your visit to ensure material is available on your arrival.
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011