The Red Herring Club, Oxford, was apparently founded by Edward Lhuyd, Keeper of the Ashmolean Museum, and seems to have had a Welsh connection.
Records of the Red Herring Club, Oxford, 1694-1775
MS. Top. Oxon. e. 281 was lot 1029 in Heber sale, part XI (MSS.), 18 Feb. 1836, and lot 145 in Henry Wellesley sale, 3 Aug. 1866. On fol. 136v rev. is the library stamp of Falconer Madan.
MS. Top. Oxon. f. 49 was formerly Phillipps MS. 22262, and has the Library stamp of Falconer Madan, B.N.C. Oxford.Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library by F.F. Falconer in 1938.Access Conditions
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
P.S. Spokes, Summary Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library relating to the city, county, and university of Oxford. Accessions from 1916 to 1962 (Oxford, 1964).
Red Herring Club | Oxford