Collection Level Description: Papers of the Russell Family of Swallowfield, Berkshire
Reference: MSS. Eng. lett. c. 148-80, d. 149-64, e. 42-3; Eng. misc. a. 9, b. 68, c. 324-9, d. 461, e. 391-4, f. 94
Title: Papers of the Russell Family of Swallowfield, Berkshire
Dates of Creation: 1780-1918
Extent: 65 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English
The Russell family of Swallowfield, Berkshire, included Sir Henry Russell, 2nd Baronet (1783-1852), who was
British Representative at Court of Hyderabad. See The Indian Archives, 8 (1954), 59-66, 135-63.
Scope and Content
Papers of the Russell family, mainly of Sir Henry Russell, including:
- Letter-books of Charles Russell, first assistant Resident at Hyderabad, 1806-11
- Correspondence of Sir Henry Russell, 1st Baronet, 1803-33
- Papers of Sir Henry Russell, 2nd Baronet, 1802-57, including correspondence with his brother
Charles, 1802-52; papers relating to India, particularly Hyderabad, 1808-27; journals, 1820-38, giving accounts
of travels abroad; and papers relating to Swallowfield, Berkshire
- Papers of Charles Russell, brother of Sir Henry, including correspondence, 1823-51, and a journal of a
tour through France and Italy, 1836-7
- Journal of Anne Russell, eldest sister of Sir Henry, 1804
- Papers of Sir Charles Russell, 3rd Baronet, 1856-81, and Sir George Russell, 4th Baronet, ca.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1952.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 40965-41029.
Related Units of Description
See also Russell Family Deeds.
Russell | Anne | 1788-1808 | daughter of Sir Henry Russell, 1st Baronet
Russell | Charles | 1786-1856 | Bengal Army Officer and MP for Reading
Russell | Charles | fl 1806-1811 | first assistant Resident at Hyderabad
Russell | Charles | 1826-1883 | Sir | 3rd Baronet, Lieutenant Colonel, and MP
Russell | Henry | 1751-1836 | Sir | 1st Baronet, Indian Judge
Russell | Henry | 1783-1852 | Sir | 2nd Baronet, British Representative at Court of Hyderabad
Russell | family | baronets | Swallowfield Park
France | Description and travel
Italy | Description and travel
Search Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011