Turnpike trusts were empowered by parliament to raise loans for road repairs, and to install toll houses, gates and milestones etc.
Papers relating to St. Clement's Turnpike Trust, Oxford, 1804-74, mainly concerned with the interests of the bondholders.
Given to the Library by Oxford County Council in 1942.Access Conditions
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
P.S. Spokes, Summary Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library relating to the city, county, and university of Oxford. Accessions from 1916 to 1962 (Oxford, 1964).
Toll roads | England | Oxfordshire
St. Clement's Turnpike Trust | Oxford