The Borneo Mission Association was formed in 1909 to assist the work of the Anglican Church in Labuan, Sarawak and British North Borneo. Although it never sent out missionaries itself, Anglican missionaries had first visited Sarawak in 1848 at the invitation of James Brooke, its Rajah. From 1869 to 1909 Malaya, Singapore and Borneo had operated as a single diocese. However, a separate diocese was created for Sabah in 1962.
Photographs of North Borneo, [1914-1983] and Sarawak, [1897-1973], including mission schools and churches, principal buldings in towns and major settlements, landscapes, diocesan events, and portraits of mission staff and native clergy.
Bodleian reader's ticket required: http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/.Reproduction Restrictions
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.
Listed as no. 668 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996). A handlist is available for consultation in the library reading room.Related Units of Description
Postcards of British North Borneo including views of Jesselton and railway scenes, also uncaptioned snapshots, [1906-1909] (ref. MSS. Ind. Ocn. r. 23); Historical Notes on the island of Borneo and early mission work, typescript compiled by the Rev'd. William Howell, c1928 (ref. MSS. Ind. Ocn. s. 346.
Borneo Mission Association
Sarawak | Description and travel | Views
Sabah | Description and travel | Views
Church of England | Missions | Borneo
Sarawak | History | 20th century
Sabah | History | 20th century