Department of Special Collections
Search All Online Catalogues
Collection Level Description: Papers of the British Records Association (Australia)
Reference: GB 0162 MSS. Austr. s. 14
Title: Papers of the British Records Association (Australia)
Dates of Creation: 1842-1910
Extent: 4 boxes
Language of Material: English
Founded in 1932, the British Records Association exists to encourage and assist with the preservation, care, use and
publication of historical records.
Scope and Content
Wills, letters of administration, leases, agreements, etc. relating to private and business affairs in Australia,
The papers were initially deposited with the British Records Association as follows
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Bucknall family probates and letters of administration, 1890-1904, through Flegg & Sons, solicitors,
- Probates of William Heywood, 1871, through Bridges, Sawtell & Adams, solicitors, of London
- Letters of administration of John Mattinson, Philip Thomas Bowden, Alfred Diaper and Thomas Ritchie,
1842-1872, and probate of Charles Hay, 1848, through Vizards, of London
- Probate of William Holland Goldsmid, 1903, through Godden, Holme & Co., of London
- Documents concerning the Canning Jarrah Timber Company Limited, The South Australian Tramways Co. Ltd.,
etc., c1882-1903, through Morrish, Strode & Co., of London
- Letters of administration of John Walker Kelsall, 1884, through Julius White & Bywater, of
- Letters of administration of George Halford Parker, 1873, through Penningtons & Lewis & Lewis, of
- Reconveyance of property at New Norfolk, Van Diemens Land, 1842, through Waterhouse & Co., solicitors,
- Correspondence from Mellwraith McEacharn & Co. concerning investments in the Darling Downs and Western
Land Company Ltd., 1893-1895, through Williams & James, solicitors, of London
- Other papers, through Taylor Garrett, solicitors, of London
The papers were transferred to the library by the British Records Association on 14th August 1981, 9th March 1982,
25th May 1984 and 16th June 1986.
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first
Listed as no. 645 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions
1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Related Units of Description
Mortgages, conveyances, deeds of administration, death certificates, etc., 1854-1911 (ref. MSS. Austr. s. 12).
Further transferrals from the British Records Association relating to areas other than Australasia are listed
Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994
(Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996) and in Manuscript Collections (Africana and non-Africana)
in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Supplementary accessions to the end of 1977 and Cumulative Index,
compiled by Wendy S. Byrne (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1978.
British Records Association
Canning Jarrah Timber Company Limited | Australia
South Australian Tramways Co. Ltd.
Darling Downs and Western Land Company Ltd. | Australia
Australia | History
Timber | Western Australia | History
Trolley buses | South Australia | History
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
08 February 2012