Department of Special Collections
Search All Online Catalogues
Collection Level Description: Papers of the British Records Association (West Indies)
Reference: GB 0162 MSS. W. Ind. s. 60
Title: Papers of the British Records Association (West Indies)
Dates of Creation: 1815-1896
Extent: 2 boxes
Language of Material: English
Founded in 1932, the British Records Association exists to encourage and assist with the preservation, care, use and
publication of historical records.
Scope and Content
Wills, probates, title deeds, etc. relating to estates in the West Indies, 1815-1896.
The papers were initially deposited with the British Records Association as follows
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Pre-marriage settlement, Grenada, 1839, from A.F. & R.W. Tweedie, London
- Probate of John Groscourt, British Guiana, 1838, from the Department of Trade, Bankruptcy Headquarters,
- Probate of William Rose, Jamaica, 1840, from Stileman, Neate & Topping, London
- Letters of administration and will, George James, Barbados, 1815, from Lee, Bolton and Lee, London
- Title deed, Antigua, 1829 and probate of Eliza Meertens, British Guiana, 1867, from Godden, Holme &
- Title deed, St. Christopher, 1826, provenance unknown (received from the Public Records Office, probably war
- Title deeds, Grenada, 1874-1896, from Farrar & Co., London
- Will of Anthony Cunyngham, St. Christopher, 1843, from Preston & Co., London
The papers were deposited at the library by the British Records Association on 14th August 1981 and 9th March
1982, except for the probate of John Groscourt, which was deposited on 16th June 1986.
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first
Listed as no. 774 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions
1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
British Records Association
West Indies | History | 19th century
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
08 February 2012