Commonwealth and African Studies
Search All Online Catalogues
Collection Level Description: Papers of Dr. Schuyler Jones
Reference: GB 0162 MSS. Afr. s. 2254
Title: Papers of Dr. Schuyler Jones
Dates of Creation: 1953
Extent: 27 ff.
Language of Material: eng
Dr. Schuyler Jones (b 1930), CBE (1998) was educated at Wichita High School, Kansas, the University of Edinburgh (MA)
and the University of Oxford (MA, DPhil), where he lectured in ethnology, 1970-1971. He was Assistant Curator
Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford, 1971-1985 and Director, 1985-1997.
During his career he took part in the following anthropological expeditions -
- North Africa, the Sahara, West Africa, 1951
- French Equatorial Africa, Belgian Congo, East Africa, 1952
- South Africa, the Zambezi and Congo Rivers, 1953
- French West Africa, the Sahara, 1954
- Eastern Mediterranean, 1956
- Greek Islands, 1957
- Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal, 1958
- Pakistan, Kashmir, Afghanistan, 1959
- Nuristan, 1960-1970
- Central China, Gobi Desert, Chinese Turkestan, 1984
- East Africa, 1985
- Central China, Tibet, Gobi Desert, 1986
- South China, Chinese Turkestan, Hunza, Gilgit, 1988
- Greenland, 1991
- East Africa and Greenland, 1993
He was a council member, RAI, 1986-1990 and a trustee of the Horniman Memorial Museum, London, 1989-1994. He also
served temporarily in the Kenyan Police Force during the 1950s. He was married twice, in 1955 to Lis Margit
Sondergaard, with whom he had one son and one daughter, and in 1998 to Lorraine Christine Vieira.
His publications include the following -
- Under the African sun (London; Hurst & Blackett; )
- An annotated bibliography of Nuristan (Kafiristan) and the Kalash Kafirs of
Chitral (Copenhagen; Munksgaard; 1966-1969)
- The Political organization of the Kam Kafirs. A preliminary analysis(Copenhagen;
- Men of influence in Nuristan: a study of social control and dispute settlement in Waigal
Valley, Afghanistan (London, New York; Seminar Press, 1974)
- Hunting and trading on the Great Plains, 1859-1875, by James R. Mead, ed.
Schuyler Jones (London, Norman; University of Oklahoma Press; c1986)
- Afghanistan (Oxford; Clio; 1992)
- Tibetan nomads: environment, pastoral economy, and material culture (London,
Copenhagen; Thames and Hudson, Rhodos International Science and Art Publishers; 1996)
Scope and Content
Printed and typescript items relating to the Mau Mau emergency in Kenya, 1953.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were deposited at the library by Dr. Schuyler Jones in April 1998.
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Jones | Schuyler | b 1930 | Dr. | director Pitt Rivers Museum
Kenya | History | Mau Mau Emergency, 1952-1960
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
24 February 2012