Papers of Major Frederick Myatt relating to his service in the Royal West African Frontier Force
Bodleian Library, University of OxfordLucy McCann
Department of Special Collections
Search Online Catalogues
Shelfmark: MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 601
Title: Papers of Major Frederick Myatt relating to his service in the Royal West African Frontier Force
Dates of Creation: c.1895-2005
Extent: 1 box
Language(s) of Material: English
Major Frederick Myatt, 1916-1994, soldier Royal West African Frontier Force.
Scope and Content
- (fols. 1-4) typed copies of West African Frontier Force orders by Colonel J. Willcocks, 1899
- (item 1) 'A Simple Hausa Grammar' by Major F. Myatt, Gold Coast Regiment, 1949
- (fols. 5-17) general notes on the Gold Coast Regiment complied by Major F. Myatt, 1949
- (fols. 22-41) text of lecture by Major F. Myatt on the siege of Kumasi, 1950
- (item 4) typed 'History of the 3rd Auxiliary Group, Gold Coast Regiment, Royal West African Frontier Force, 81st (W.A) Division.
May 1941-December 1945' by Major E.S. Stafford, n.d.
- (item 5) typed 'Burma 1944-45. Memories of the Second Kaladan Campaign' by Brig. P.J. Jeffreys, n.d.
- (items 7-9) newsletters of the 81st West African Division Club, 2005
- (fols. 53-70) photographs including (fol. 53) unidentified port in Gold Coast, 19th century, (fol. 54) the Gold Coast Constabulary
at the Diamond Jubilee, 1897, (fol. 55) William Brandford Griffith, Chief Justice of the Gold Coast, c.1895, (Gold Coast Legislative
Council, 1907, (fol. 57) group of survivors taken on Kumasi Day, 1939, (fols. 62-70) the regiment in Tamale, 1949-1950
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Mrs Elizabeth Diacon in 2016.
Preferred Form of Citation
Oxford, Bodleian Library, MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 601
Myatt, Frederick, 1916-1994, soldier
Royal West African Frontier Force.
Ghana | History | To 1957
World War, 1939-1945 -- Africa
World War, 1939-1945 -- Burma
Transformation from XML (EAD 2.0) to HTML
17 August 2016