The British Protectorate of Nyasaland was founded in 1891 and merged with Northern and Southern Rhodesia in the 1950s to form the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (the Central African Federation). Nyasaland itself was governed by a Legislative Council nominated by the British Crown. This was seated at Zomba and in 1958 was made up of 23 members (5 Africans and 18 Europeans) with an Executive Council of 9 (all Europeans). The Legislative Council, and Federation, were dissolved when Nyasaland gained its independence, as Malawi, in 1964. Zomba remained the seat of government in Malawi until 1975, when it was succeeded by Lilongwe.
Album of photographs of the opening of the Legislative Council Chamber, Zomba, 1957.
The papers were originally part of the library's book holdings, and were transferred to its manuscript collections on 17th April 2000.Access Conditions
Bodleian reader's ticket required.Reproduction Restrictions
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Malawi | History | 1953-1964 | Pictorial works
Great Britain | Colonies | Malawi | Administration
Legislative council | Malawi