In June 1951 the European farmers of the Ol Joro settlement area, in the Arusha District of Tanganyika, formed an association with the object of furthering the common interests of the community. Many of the 22 farms represented were in the very early stages of development; the principal crops were maize, beans and wheat. The first Chairman of the Oljoro Farmers' Association was J.J. (Bobby) Malan, the Honorary Treasurer was Peter Smeer, and the Honorary Secretary Mrs. J.D.J. Cameron. In 1961 the Oljoro Farmers' Association merged with the North West Meru Farmers' Association to become the Amalgamated Farmers' Association.
Minute books, correspondence, papers about the merger of the Oljoro Farmers' Association with the North West Meru Farmers' Association, and printed matter relating to East African agriculture. Also, papers about labour and veterinary matters, transport and road construction, the Police and security arrangements, maize prices, agricultural shows, tsetse fly control, the Tanganyika National Farmers' Union, the Northern Province Labour Utilization Board, milk production, and the 1959 United Nations Plan for milk processing projects in Tanganyika.
Deposited with the Oxford Colonial Records Project.Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to the library from Oxford Colonial Records Project.Access Conditions
Bodleian reader's ticket required.Reproduction Restrictions
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room and a handlist is also available for this collection.
Listed as no. 237 in Manuscript Collections of Africana in Rhodes House Library, Oxford, compiled by Louis B. Frewer (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1968).
Oljoro Farmers' Association | Arusha (Tanganyika)
Amalgamated Farmers' Association | Africa
North West Meru Farmers' Association | Africa
Agriculture | Tanganyika
Farmers | Tanganyika
Arusha Region (Tanzania)