Commonwealth and African Studies
Search All Online Catalogues
Collection Level Description: Papers of Sir Edgar C.F. Whitehead
Reference: GB 0162 MSS.Afr.s.1482
Title: Papers of Sir Edgar C.F. Whitehead
Dates of Creation: 1928-1965
Extent: 7 files, 10 volumes
Name of Creator: Edgar C.F. Whitehead
Language of Material: eng
Sir Edgar Cuthbert Fremantle Whitehead, OBE (1944), CMG (1952), KCMG (1954), was born on the 1 January 1905 and
educated at University College, Oxford (BA 1926, MA 1929).
Sir Whitehead's career history:
- War service (1939-1945), in West Africa and with Air Despatch in the United Kingdom
- Member of the Legislative Assembly for Southern Rhodesia (1939-1940, 1946-1953, 1958-1965)
- Acting High Commissioner for Southern Rhodesia in the UK (1945-1946)
- Ministry of Finance, and of Posts and Telegraphs, Southern Rhodesia (1946-1953)
- Member of the Council of the University of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (1955-1958)
- Minister for the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland in Washington (1957-1958)
- Elected MP for Salisbury North constituency (United Federal Party) in Southern Rhodesia General Election (June
- Minister of Native Affairs (1958-1960)
- Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia (February 1958-December 1962)
- Leader of the Opposition (United Federal Party, 1962-1965)
Sir Whitehead returned to England on retirement in 1965 and died on the 22 September 1971.
Scope and Content
This collection contains:
- Original typescript of unpublished autobiography, 1928-1946
- United Federal Party 'Build a Nation' tour, 1962: correspondence, press cuttings
- speeches, circulars, cuttings as Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia, 1961, 1962
- personal letters concerning his work and retirement, 1949-1965
- press cuttings, 1958-1962
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated in 1972 and 1992.
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Listed as no. 297 in Manuscript Collections (Africana and non-Africana) in Rhodes House
Library, Oxford, Supplementary accessions to the end of 1977 and Cumulative Index , compiled by Wendy S.
Byrne (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1978).
Whitehead | Edgar Cuthbert Fremantle | 1905-1971 | Sir | Knight Rhodesian Politician
United Federal Party
Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
Prime ministers | Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe | Politics and government
Zimbabwe | Officials and employees
Rhodesia and Nyasaland | Officials and employees
Rhodesia and Nyasaland | Politics and government
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
16 December 2011