Collection Level Description: Photostats of Manuscripts of Marsilius of Padua,
Reference: MSS. Facs. d. 67-9
Title: Photostats of Manuscripts of Marsilius of Padua,
Dates of Creation: photostats of 14th and 15th cent. originals
Extent: 3 shelfmarks
Name of Creator: Charles William Previté-Orton
Language of Material: Latin
Marcilius of Padua (fl. 1277-1342) was an Italian political theorist who taught in
Paris and Nuremberg. His Defensor pacis (1324) examined the roles of
church and state.
Scope and Content
Photostats of manuscripts of Marcilius of Padua, Defensor pacis:
- Tortosa, Bibl. de Cabildo 141, fols. 1-100r, 14th century
- Vienna, Nationalbibliothek lat. 464, fols. 1-117r, 14th century
- Vienna, Nationalbibliothek lat. 809, fols. 1-123r, 15th century
- Bruges, Bibliothèque publique 557, fols. 1-10, 13-17, 19-20, 14th century
- Auxerre, Bibliothèque de la ville 19, fol. 3r, 14th century (photograph).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library in 1942.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid
reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
See C. W. Previté-Orton (ed.) The Defensor pacis of Marsilius of Padua
Church and state
Marcilius of Padua | fl 1277-1342 | political scientist
Search All Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011