Collection Level Description: Microfilms of Medieval Manuscripts concerning Saints' Lives, Sermons and the Construction of Westminster Abbey
Reference: MSS. Film 2059-61
Title: Microfilms of Medieval Manuscripts concerning Saints' Lives, Sermons and the Construction of Westminster Abbey
Dates of Creation: 20th cent. (originals 12th-14th cent.)
Extent: 3 shelfmarks
Language of Material: Latin, Middle English, and Old French
Scope and Content
Microfilms of manuscripts containing:
- a collection of metrical saints' lives in Anglo-Norman, early 14th century
- Sulcard, De prima constructione ecclesiae Westmonasterii etc. ,
2nd half of the 13th century, from Westminster Abbey
- Osbert of Clare, Miracula S. Edmundi, early 13th century, from
Bury St. Edmunds
- sermons by various authors, including Aeldred of Rievaulx, but mostly anon.,
English, last quarter of the 12th century. Given to the Abbey of Cluny by its
English abbot, Hugh V (1199-1207) from Reading.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library in 2001.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid
reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
Existence/Location of Originals
The originals are located as follows:
- MS. Film 2059 - London, British Library, Add. MS. 70513
- MS. Film 2060 - London, British Library, Cotton MS. Titus A. VIII.
- MS. Film 2061 - Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale de France, nouv. acq.
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to
Aeldred | b 1109 | Abbot of Rievaulx
Sulcard | fl 1075 | chronographer and monk of Westminster
Search All Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011