The International Peace Campaign was established in 1936 in the wake of the 1935 Peace Ballot organised in Britain by Dame Adelaide Livingstone. Its Joint Presidents were Viscount Cecil and M. Pierre Cot, Air Minister in the French Popular Front government. The Campaign aimed to co-ordinate the work of existing pacifist organisations, campaigning in support of the League of Nations on a policy of respect for treaty obligations, arms reduction and the peaceful resolution of conflict. After the outbreak of war, the Campaign had difficulty sustaining its activities and was wound up in early 1941.
Financial transactions of the British National Committee of the International Peace Campaign, 1936-40.
Given to the Library by Balliol College, Oxford, Apr. 1981.Access Conditions
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
International Peace Campaign | British National Committee | 1936-1941