Collection Level Description: Diary of Andrew Clark
Reference: MSS. Eng. hist. e. 88-177c
Title: Diary of Andrew Clark
Dates of Creation: August 1914-December 1919
Extent: 92 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English
Andrew Clark (1856-1922) was rector of Great Leighs, Essex, and an antiquary.
Scope and Content
Diary of Andrew Clark recording daily impressions of 'such echoes of the Great War as reached the rectory
from outside', and containing official bulletins and leaflets, letters, postcards and newspaper cuttings.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The diary was given to the Library by Andrew Clark, 1915-20.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 40229-320.
Related Units of Description
- Newspaper Cuttings Collected by Andrew Clark (MSS. Eng. misc. e. 265-329)
- Collections for the History of Jesus College, Oxford, by Rev. Dr. Andrew Clark (MSS. Top. Oxon. e. 142-3, e. 197-9)
- Oxford College Collections of Rev. Andrew Clark (MSS. Top. Oxon. d. 96-106, e. 104/1-4, e. 105/1-5, e. 109-115, e. 123/1-23,
e. 124/1-16, e. 128-141, f. 22-6)
- Essex Collections of Rev. Andrew Clark (MSS. Top. Essex c. 15, e. 6/1-11, e. 7, e, 8/1-6, e. 9/1-3, e. 10/1-3, e. 11/1-13,
e. 11/15, e. 12, e. 14-29, e. 29*, e. 30-41, e. 43)
- Hertfordshire Notes of Rev. Andrew Clark (MSS. Top. Herts. e. 1-8)
Selections from the diary are published as Echoes of the Great War, ed. James Munson
World War, 1914-1918
Diaries | 20th century
Clark | Andrew | 1854-1922 | Clergyman and Antiquary
Search Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011