Catalogue of letters and papers of, and relating to, H. W. C. Davis,
Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
Converted to EAD and published online 2013
Conversion to EAD supported by the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.
Department of Special Collections
Search Online Catalogues
Letters to Henry William Carless Davis, and to his widow.
Shelfmarks: MSS. Eng. c. 6038-6039
Extent: 2 shelfmarks
Henry William Carless Davis, (1874-1928), was Director of the Dictionary of National
Biography from 1902 and Regius Professor of Modern History, Oxford, from 1925. Details
are given in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Papers arranged and given by his son, G. R. C. Davis, 1995.
Preferred Form of Citation
Oxford, Bodleian Library [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g.
MS. Eng. c. 6038, fols. 1-2].
Personal names (NCA Rules)
Henry William Carless | 1874-1928 | historian
Corporate names (NCA Rules)
Dictionary of National Biography -- University of Oxford
Great Britain -- Historians
Shelfmark: MS. Eng. c. 6038
Extent: 250 leaves
Scope and Content:
- (fols. 1-35) miscellaneous letters, 1897-1914
- (fols. 36-43) congratulatory letters on his CBE, 1918
- (fols. 44-250) congratulatory letters on his appointment to the Regius Chair
of Modern History, Oxford, 1925
Shelfmark: MS. Eng. c. 6039
Extent: 230 leaves
Scope and Content:
- (fols. 1-26) letters to Davis as editor of Essays in History
presented to R. L. Poole (Oxford, 1927), 1925-1926
- (fols. 27-212) letters of condolence to his widow on his death, with
photocopies of obituaries, 1928
- (fols. 213-225) letters to his widow relating to posthumous publication of
The Age of Grey and Peel (Oxford, 1929), 1928-1929
- (fols. 226-30) letters to his widow relating to posthumous publication of
Henry William Carless Davis, 1874-1928. A memoir by J. R. H. Weaver,
and a selection of his historical papers, edited by J. R. H. Weaver
and Austin Lane Poole (London, 1933), 1928-1933
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
13 January 2014