Collection Level Description: Papers of Strickland Gibson
Reference: MSS. Eng. lett. c. 591-6, d. 524-5; Eng. misc. c. 857
Title: Papers of Strickland Gibson
Dates of Creation: 1897-1948
Extent: 9 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English
Strickland Gibson (1877-1958), a member of the Bodleian staff from 1891, and Sub-Librarian 1931-45. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Scope and Content
Correspondence and papers of Strickland Gibson, consisting of:
- General correspondence, mainly relating to the Bodleian, 1897-1946
- Correspondence and papers of Gibson and John Johnson concerning a proposal to make the Arts End of the Old
Bodleian into a reference library, 1937-9
- Letters to Gibson on the completion of fifty years' service in the Bodleian, 1941
- Correspondence with D.L. Murray, 1943-5
- Papers and letters concerning Gibson's university classes in bibliography, 1922-48
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by Gibson, c. 1950.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 41563-71.
Related Units of Description
See also Manuscripts Collected by Strickland Gibson ([pr. bk.].
Gibson | Strickland | 1877-1958 | Librarian and Bibliographer
Johnson | John De Monins | 1882-1956 | Egyptologist
University of Oxford
Search Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011