Collection Level Description: Papers of E.A. Greening Lamborn
Reference: MSS. Eng. misc. c. 312, c. 331, d. 434, e. 368-9, f. 91; Top. Berks. g. 1; Top. Bucks. c. 15, g. 1; Top. eccles. b. 42; Top.
gen. d. 32, e. 73-5; Top. Oxon. d. 457
Title: Papers of E.A. Greening Lamborn
Dates of Creation: 18th-20th cent.
Extent: 15 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English
Edmund Arnold Greening Lamborn (1877-1950) was an antiquary. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Scope and Content
Papers of E.A. Greening Lamborn, and manuscripts from his collection, consisting of:
- Letters to and from Lamborn, 1917-49
- Ordinary of arms in churches in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, compiled by Lamborn, early
- Notebook containing extracts by Lamborn from books and letters read, 1899
- Album of photographs, mainly of churches and sculpture in the Oxford region, 1920s, with a portrait
photograph of Lamborn
- Pocket-books containing brief notes by Lamborn on churches in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire, 20th century
- Commonplace book of a member of the Ayscough family, 18th century
- Seventeenth-century church notes for parishes in Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, copied by Craven Ord
- Rough sketches and notes of James Ingram, 1838, n.d.
- Lectures on heraldry by Norris Deck, 1849, 1852
- Recipe book of Mary Waddell of Littlemore, Oxfordshire, 1850
- Notebook containing extracts by W. Ballard, mainly from printed sources, on Oxfordshire and Berkshire
parishes, mid-19th century
- Notebook containing copies of recitations and songs, 19th century
- Guide to Buckinghamshire by Robert Dodwell, entitled 'Buckingham. The Pocket County Companion', late 19th
century, apparently unpublished
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by Lamborn's daughter in 1950.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43765-79.
Church buildings | England | Berkshire
Church buildings | England | Buckinghamshire
Church buildings | England | Oxfordshire
Ballard | W | fl. 1830-1870
Deck | Norris | fl. 1843-1866 | Antiquary
Dodwell | Robert | fl. 1860-1899 | of Littlemore, Oxfordshire
Ingram | James | 1774-1850 | Anglo Saxon Scholar, Antiquary, and Archaeologist
Lamborn | Edmund Arnold Greening | 1877-1950 | Antiquary
Ord | Craven | 1756-1832 | Antiquary
Waddell | Mary | fl. 1850 | of Littlemore, Oxfordshire
Search Online Catalogues
Consulting material: To consult archives and manuscripts, a full and unrestricted
Bodleian reader's card (Group A) is required. You should apply for your card at the
Pre-ordering: Before your visit you may order up to ten items by emailing
Please be advised that some collection material is held offsite; we advise pre-ordering at least two working
days before your visit to ensure material is available on your arrival.
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011