Collection Level Description: Papers of Hastings Rashdall
Reference: MSS. Eng. lett. c. 342-51, d. 353-62, e. 134-5; Eng. misc. a. 16, c. 588-90, e. 361
Title: Papers of Hastings Rashdall
Dates of Creation: 1869-1953
Extent: 27 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English
Hastings Rashdall (1858-1924) was Dean of Carlisle and a historian. Details are given in the
Dictionary of National Biography.
Scope and Content
Letters and papers of Hastings Rashdall, including:
- Letters to Rashdall's mother, 1869-79, 1907
- Letters to Rashdall from H. Montagu Butler, 1875-1917
- Diary kept by Rashdall at Harrow school, 1874
- Letters to Rashdall, with copies of some replies, 1871-8, 1882-1924
- Drafts of lectures on medieval universities
- Papers and some correspondence about ecclesiastical and theological matters, 1891-1922
- Miscellaneous papers
- Letters and papers about Rashdall's life collected by his widow, Constance Rashdall, 1924-53
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by Hastings Rashdall's widow in 1953.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 41396-422.
Related Units of Description
Further correspondence is in New College, Oxford.
Universities and colleges
Butler | Henry Montagu | 1833-1918 | Headmaster of Harrow, Master of Trinity Cambridge
Rashdall | Constance | fl. 1924-1953
Rashdall | Hastings | 1858-1924 | Dean of Carlisle and historian
Search Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
17 June 2011