Collection Level Description: Notes and Collections of the Rev. H.E. Salter
Reference: MSS. Top. Oxon. a. 45(R), a. 51(R)-60(R), b. 223, b. 225(R)-247(R), c. 206-7, c. 245, c. 353, c. 392-404, c. 414-35, c. 437-46,
c. 456-8, c. 459(R)-469(R), d. 255, d. 352, d. 384, d. 404-10, d. 421(R)-438(R), e. 273-4, e. 295, e. 306-7, e. 316-39, e.
351(R)-360(R), f. 54, f. 56(R)-59(R)
Title: Notes and Collections of the Rev. H.E. Salter
Dates of Creation: 19th-20th cent.
Extent: 170 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English and Latin
Herbert Edward Salter (1863-1951) was a historian. Details are given in the Dictionary of National
Scope and Content
Notes and collections of the Rev. H.E. Salter, consisting of:
- City of Oxford
- Chronicle - Extracts of deeds, documents and other original material, and notes on happenings in Oxford University
- Surveys of different areas of Oxford
- Transcripts and extracts from records
- Tracings of maps and plans of sites and properties
- Collections relating to Shirburn and Pyrton
- Collections for Oxfordshire religious houses
- Charters relating to Oxford
- Material relating to other counties
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collections were chiefly given to the Library in 1951, with the exception of certain items given by Dr Salter in his lifetime.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
P.S. Spokes, Summary Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library relating to the city county and university of Oxford. Accessions
from 1916 to 1962 (Oxford, 1964).
Related Units of Description
See also Tracings of Maps by H.E. Salter; Photographs of Rev. H.E. Salter; and Shirburn Records.
Religious institutions | England | Oxfordshire
Salter | Herbert Edward | 1863-1951 | Historian
University of Oxford
Search Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011