Letters from Siegfried Sassoon to Rolf Barbour
Bodleian Library, University of OxfordOriginal catalogue by Judith Priestman. EAD version by Rachael Gardner
Department of Special Collections
Search Online Catalogues
Consulting material: To consult archives and manuscripts, a full and unrestricted
Bodleian reader's card (Group A) is required. You should apply for your card at the
Pre-ordering: Before your visit you may order up to ten items by emailing
Please be advised that some collection material is held offsite; we advise pre-ordering at least two working
days before your visit to ensure material is available on your arrival.
Shelfmark: Dep. c. 1284
Title: Letters from Siegfried Sassoon to Rolf Barbour
Dates of Creation: 1946-1966
Extent: 193 leaves
Language(s) of Material: English
Siegfried Loraine Sassoon (1886-1967) was an English poet, writer, and soldier.
Scope and Content
Letters from Siegfried Sassoon to Rolf Barbour. Includes:
- (fol. 4) a photograph of Greenways [Riding] School, Codford St Peter [c.1946], with a rhyme by Sassoon
- (fol. 9) a photograph of an unidentified boy [possibly George, c.1946/7], with a note by Sassoon on the verso
- (fols. 66, 74, 88-90, 99, 104-5, 110, 117, 122, 124, 127, 134, 148, 150-1) date-franked empty envelopes with no letters corresponding
to the franking dates
- (fols. 166-78) undated, empty envelopes
- (fols. 179-93) miscellaneous papers, including (fols. 182-7) four letters from Hester Sassoon to Barbour, n.d.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
On permanent deposit from Exeter College, Oxford, 2002.
Preferred Form of Citation
Oxford, Bodleian Library Dep. c. 1284
Sassoon | Siegfried | 1886-1967 | poet
Poetry -- 20th century
Transformation from XML (EAD 2.0) to HTML
15 March 2016