Collection Level Description: Papers of Eric Taverner
Reference: MSS. Eng. misc. c. 773-8, e. 1303-9, f. 762; Eng. lett. c. 515
Title: Papers of Eric Taverner
Dates of Creation: 20th cent.
Extent: 15 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English
Eric Taverner was an angler.
Scope and Content
Papers of Eric Taverner relating to angling. The collection includes:
- Typescript drafts, with manuscript additions, of a history of angling in Britain from the 15th to
the 19th century
- Typescript articles, drafts and fair copies, mainly on angling, 1935-45
- Correspondence of Taverner mainly relating to angling, 1916-55
- Fishing books, with notes on angling, and a few photographs, 1923-42
- Notes on salmon fishing by A.B. Russell, n.d.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1974.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 45028-42.
Fishing | History
Russell | A B | fl. 1900-1999
Taverner | Eric | fl. 1916-1955 | Angler
Search Online Catalogues
Consulting material: To consult archives and manuscripts, a full and unrestricted
Bodleian reader's card (Group A) is required. You should apply for your card at the
Pre-ordering: Before your visit you may order up to ten items by emailing
Please be advised that some collection material is held offsite; we advise pre-ordering at least two working
days before your visit to ensure material is available on your arrival.
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011