Collection Level Description: Papers of T.W. Thompson
Reference: MSS. Eng. misc. b. 342, c. 762-70, d. 1184-91, e. 1281-92, f. 721-58, g. 261-73
Title: Papers of T.W. Thompson
Dates of Creation: 19th-20th cent.
Extent: 81 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English
Thomas William Thompson (d. 1968) was a folklorist.
Scope and Content
Papers of T.W. Thompson relating to gipsies, consisting of:
- Papers relating to European gipsies, including French gipsies, c. 1911-37
- Papers relating to gipsy language, including a dictionary, 1874, n.d.
- Papers concerning gipsy folk tales, c. 1910-43
- Genealogical papers, including pedigrees of gipsy families, c. 1909-50
- Printed items concerning gipsies, 19th-20th cent.
- Thirteen boxes of lantern slides, mainly of gipsies and gipsy life
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were bequeathed to the Library by T.W. Thompson in 1968.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43227-307.
Romani language | Dictionaries
Romanies | Europe
Romanies | Folklore
Romanies | France
Thompson | Thomas William | d. 1968 | Folklorist
Search Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011