Collection Level Description: Papers of Private William Ward, 1st Leicestershire Regiment of Foot
Reference: MSS. Eng. Hist. e. 382, f. 85
Title: Papers of Private William Ward, 1st Leicestershire Regiment of Foot
Dates of Creation: 1894-1902
Extent: 2 shelfmarks
Name of Creator: Private William Ward
Language of Material: English
Private William Ward, later Sergeant, (fl. 1894-1902) of the 1st Leicestershire Regiment of Foot.
Scope and Content
The papers comprise:
- William Ward's printed army account book, or pocket ledger (London: 1893), containing personal details and certificates, 1895-8
- Ward's pocket-book containing:
- miscellaneous memoranda
- lists of men and provisions
- a list of Ward's whereabouts, 1894-1902, mainly during the Boer war
- copies of army orders, 1900
- maps of and notes on the battles of Colenso and Dundee, and the assault on Ladysmith, 1899-1900
- a list of degrees of drunkenness, ranging from 'Mortally inebriated' to 'Sober as a judge'.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library with related papers (MSS. Eng. misc. c. 882, fols. 188-206), in 1982.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Related Units of Description
Papers relating to Sgt. Ward, including certificates of character and discharge (MSS Eng. misc. c. 882, fols. 188-206).
South African War, 1899-1902 | Campaigns
South African War, 1899-1902 | South Africa | KwaZulu-Natal
Ward | William | fl 1894-1902 | Sergeant, 1st Leicestershire Regiment of Foot
Colenso, Battle of, South Africa, 1899
Great Britain | Army | Leicestershire Regiment
Ladysmith (South Africa) | History | Siege, 1899-1900
Talana Hill, Battle of, South Africa, 1899
Search Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011