Collection Level Description: Papers of Joseph Wright
Reference: MSS. Eng. lang. c. 12-14, d. 77-128, e. 13-15, f. 3; Eng. lett. c. 329, d. 347; Eng. misc. a. 15, b. 117(R), c. 566-7; Top.
Oxon. b. 267
Title: Papers of Joseph Wright
Dates of Creation: 1878-1955
Extent: 66 shelfmarks
Language of Material: English, German, Ancient Greek, and Middle English
Joseph Wright (1855-1930) was a philologist. Details are given in the Dictionary of National
Scope and Content
Papers of Joseph Wright, with some papers of his wife, Elizabeth Mary, including:
- Wright's English dialect dictionary (London & New York, 1896-1901) cut up and
pasted into 30 volumes, with annotations and corrections by him
- Lists of subscribers to the dictionary
- Newspaper cuttings concerning the dictionary
- Drafts and manuscripts of various grammars
- Lectures, certificates, diplomas, correspondence and photographs
- Papers of Elizabeth Mary Wright, concerning 'Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight', c. 1896-1923, and Havelok
the Dane, 1921-2
- Letters to Mrs Wright, 1888-1934
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were transferred from the Taylorian Library in 1972, except for MS. Eng. lang. c. 12 and MS.
Eng. lett. c. 329, which were given to the Library in 1974.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a
valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the
Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 40392-457.
English language | Dialects | Dictionaries
Language and languages | Grammars
Wright | Elizabeth Mary | fl 1887-1934
Wright | Joseph | 1855-1930 | Philologist
Search Online Catalogues
Transformation from XML to HTML by Lawrence Mielniczuk
09 June 2011