Mrs Trinder was born in 1888 in Wychford, a village in the
Chipping Norton district, and had just celebrated her 92nd birthday. She was one
of a family of nine, eight girls and one boy. Her father was a carter. Sylvia
Alice Jackson came to Cumnor at the age of 17 in 1903 to go into service, as
most girls did in those days. Working in Oxford Colleges, including Lady
Margaret Hall, she became a cook. Her first residence in Cumnor was at Wood End
Farm, Oaken Holt. Soon she was being courted by Aubrey Trinder and had in her
possession a huge but rather charming photograph of herself and her fiance done,
she said, at her first St Giles' fair for the price of 4d, which had apparently
been quite an extravagance.
Aubrey Trinder and Alice married when she was 23 and lived in a cottage in Nobles Lane belonging to a Farmer Wise, for a rent of 2/6d per week. Her husband became gamekeeper to Lord Abingdon, and later to a Mr Lane, and they moved into the keeper's cottage on Long Leys. Her husband earned £1 a week and got a new suit of clothes for every Crufts Dog Show, which was religiously attended. It was very difficult to live on the wage.
During the First World War Mrs Trinder acted as keeper in her husband's absence. Three children were born to Mrs Trinder, two daughters, Tilly and Dixie, and one son Reginald. Both daughters went into service, one was with Miss James at Cutts End after being in a school, the other served for a time with Frewins at Lower Whitley Farm. Whilst living at Long Leys Mrs Trinder worked on Sundays at the Ferry Inn, Bablockhythe, where the Sunday fishermen were served. The Leys to 'Bab' was also the Sunday walk for the children. Shopping was done in Oxford and the journey made on foot. Even coal was carried back.
Cumnor Hill was stones and wooden sleepers and Mrs Trinder still had a toe injury sustained on one of the expeditions, which took a full day but were apparently very much enjoyed for all that. The family attended Chapel on Sundays and Mrs Trinder Church also. She remembered the Rev. Wilkinson as vicar at St Michael's. The Neals were landlords at the Bear and Ragged Staff, James's were at the Vine. The spinsters, the Misses Jervois, at New Cumnor Place, were important people in the village in her earlier days, as was Thomas, Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire, at Leys House. Outings were taken just about once a year to an aunt, as there was no money for anything else. Holidays were unheard of.
The family later moved from Long Leys cottage to Leys Cottage at the top of the Bridle Path, and took up residence with Monty Sherwood, foreman of Chawley Brickworks and a respected member of the community, Clerk to the Parish Council and a cricketer.
(Notes taken by Jim Adams 14 February 1980 at 45 Robsart Place, Cumnor the home of her son Reginald)