We regret to inform users that this resource is no longer available. The site has been withdrawn as the technologies which it is built with have reached end-of-life. We will endeavour to make the Toyota Project catalogue records available via a central finding aid.
An archived version of the site is available via the Bodleian Web Archive: https://wayback.archive-it.org/org-467/20191010095536/http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/toyota/. Note that the archived site does not provide the search functionality which was available in the original version.
Information about the John Johnson Collection of Printed Ephemera can be accessed here.
1 April 2020
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Introduction to the content of the Toyota Project
For these 570 items, there are images and descriptions for every page. As the Search and Index list functions no longer work in the archived version of the site, the following list is intended as a navigational tool.
- 1-32 Motor Car Manufacturers A to C
- 33-63 Motor Car Manufacturers D to G
- 67-83 Motor Car Manufacturers H to J
- 84-100 Motor Car Manufacturers L to M
- 101-116 Motor Car Manufacturers N to R
- 117-143 Motor Car Manufacturers S to W
- 144-175 Single sheet advertising, prints, printers' samples, house journals
- 176-244 Ancillary equipment
- 245-247 Motoring clothing
- 248-288 Dealers, agents, garages, licences, insurance, etc.
- 289-328 Motoring magazines
- 329-362 Book jackets and prospectuses
- 363 Christmas gift catalogue
- 364-377 Illustrations, photographs
- 378 The Modern Motor Car (flap-book issued by Shell-Mex and BP, with models of engines)
- 379-399 Christmas cards, scraps, cigarette cards
- 400-413 Articles
- 414-476 Motoring clubs, membership cards, publications
- 477-499 Exhibitions, including pre-Motoring, e.g. Baynes's Patent Gig, for travelling without horses
- 500-570 Outsize items (Motoring folder), ephemera relating to motor cars from other sections of the John Johnson Collection
Other Forms of Transport
The 1,000 additional images (from 667) items were selected as examples only from the other transport sections of the John Johnson Collection;
Air Travel (97 items); Bicycles (145 items); Buses and Trams (31 items); Carriages and Coaches (78 items); Carts, Waggons, Caravans, Sledges, Sedan Chairs (10 items); Motor Cycles (32 items); Railways (151 items); Ships and Boats (123 items)
Indexes to the Transport section (some in preparation) may be found at: https://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/johnson/search/indexes/theme/transport
Preface from the original site: About the Project
This digitised imaging system was made possible by the sponsorship of Toyota City which began in 1993 with the appointment at the Bodleian Library of a Toyota Research Assistant who compiled the database for the project. It focuses on the 15 boxes of Motor Car ephemera in the John Johnson Collection, supplemented by 1,000 images of other forms of transport.
The images were produced by means of Kodak's Photo-CD technology: the original items were photographed onto 35mm slides, and scanned onto Photo-CD discs. These were then processed to convert the images to compressed JPEG and GIF images at the various resolutions used in the system.
The bibliographic information for each item is held in SGML (Standard Generalised Markup Language) format, conforming to the TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) scheme. The SGML records are processed by a TCL script and converted to HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) for display on the World Wide Web
Further information on the Project may be found in the following publications:-
- Gartner, Richard Digitising the Bodleian?, Audiovisual librarian August 1993 Vol 19 No 3 pp 220-223
- Gartner, Richard Conserving by numbers: introducing digital imaging into Oxford University Microform Review Spring 1994 Vol 23 No 2 pp 49-52
- Robinson, Peter The Digitization of Primary Text Sources Oxford: Office for Humanities Communication Publications, 4, 1993